Please also see our research page for article reviews on the science of vibration exercise and conditions that we can help.
During vibration exercise the body reacts to its interaction with the platform. The amount of this interaction is determined by a number of factors:
1. Vibration direction: Vibes machines use vertical vibrations
2. Vibration amplitude: Vibes machines use 2 mm or 4 mm of displacement (low intensity or high intensity)
3. Vibration frequency: Vibes machines can vary the vibration rates from 20 times per second to 60 times per second
4. Body position on the machine. This is where having a trainer alway present really pays off. Small changes in body position can help you to focus the vibrations into a muscle group or stretch and can also load or unload body regions during exercise.
1. Vibration exercise alone should not be considered the path to weight loss if that your primary goal
2. We also need to consider diet (it is beyond our scope to attempt to comment on the type of diet that is most beneficial for weight loss only that diet is an important part of a weightless regime)
3. Comparing the same exercises on a vibration platform vs the floor, researchers found a metabolic demand of 10.2 mL/kg/min vs no vibration at 4.8 mL/kg/min. Thus we see an increased metabolic demand with vibration exercises compared to the same ones done on the floor. In short we burn more calories when exercising on a vibration platform
4. However, if we look at exercise to exhaustion on a vibration platform vs exercise to exhaustion on a cycle then we see 23 mL/kg/min vs 44mL/kg/min
5. The bottom line is that we should be almost certainly be adding cardiovascular or endurance type of exercise into a weight loss program
6. Many studies have shown that vibration exercise improves strength. Strength training helps you to lose weight by retaining muscle during calorie restrictions through diet and strength training also increases post-excise oxygen consumption. Metabolism can be boosted for 24 to 38 hours after a workout. Strength training should also be a part of a weight loss regime.
Another study from the British Medical Journal showed that patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis who did 3 months of vibration exercise, twice per week for 15 minutes had improvements in fatigue, function and bone mineral density and maintained these gains for another 3 months beyond the study period.
Please see our research section under arthritis for more details on this interesting study
A study from the Indiana University showed that 6 weeks of vibration exercise safely improved pain and fatigue levels in people with fibromyalgia whereas exercise alone did not. This study also noted a 0% dropout rate and 92-93% adherence to the program, highly unusual for a study of this sort.
I am recovering from knee surgery and would like to start a regular fitness program. Is Vibes for me?
A German study looked at patients following ACL reconstruction surgery. The group began vibration exercise at 3 weeks post-op and continued with regular physiotherapy as well. This group was compared to the patients who did regular exercise and physiotherapy alone and the vibration training group showed improved pain at rest, during sitting and walking downstairs, and also maintained the thigh muscle girth whereas the control group experienced atrophy that we commonly see following ACL surgery.
Another study looked at healthy individuals but the interesting thing about this study was that they found improved stabilization time and quad recruitment immediately after a bout of vibration exercise, suggesting that it might become an excellent rehabilitation tool.
Another 2016 study found quadriceps muscle improvements after a single bout of vibration exercise. These patients also had ACL reconstruction, showing again that the modality of vibration is useful in rehabilitation as well.
I have never exercised before and am nervous that I won’t know where to start. Is Vibes still ok for me?
I would like to start a regular workout program with my partner/friend but we have different fitness levels. Can Vibes accommodate this?
I currently exercise regularly but would like to change things up. What part of my routine would Vibes substitute?
There is not a ton of research out there to back this up however there was a study done at the A.T. Still University in Arizona where they put golfers thorough a series of swings and then a series of stretches on the vibration platform (30 seconds each, 50 Hz with a 2mm displacement – the low intensity setting on our Vibes machines).
The younger golfers (under 45 years) improved their sit and each scores as well as ball speed , carry distance and total distance. The golfers over 45 did not reach significant improvements in ball distance but did improve their sit and reach scores.